thoughts

thoughts
If you look up high enough you can see your thoughts

Friday, August 5, 2011

Week 1 comment 2 @ Helen's blog

Original Post:

Credit: Notebook Gallery Software (SmartNotebook)

Reading Reflection:
What an interesting topic...copyright... I had no idea so much had to go into a piece of material that is or is not officially copyrighted. I had always understood that you need to always cite your work and give credit to where it is due but I must say...it is overwhelming and somewhat...scary to think of how these copyright laws play into affect. The videos that Mr. Bustillos has put together for our copyright assignments were very methodically put together...going from what is copyright, to what is going on with it, to how people perceive it as, and even to where it was, is, and is going to help this madness...but what hit me the hardest was the TED video that was the closing video...we NEED to and MUST inform our students of what they are falling into of using copyrighted material wrongfully. 
Watching these videos fall one into another and how people around the world are so creative is amazing. Isn't that what we want our children and learners to grow into? Working, intelligent, and creative leaders of our future? But to also think about how if they are to try these things to be caught by this copyright law is frightening. Everyone needs to be more aware of the use of fair use and everyone, including myself, needs to be understand the use of copyrighted material. 
It is pretty amazing the type of creators we do have in our world that want our world to continue to grow and allow people to use their creative minds in a way that others will not regret being a part of. Creative commons and their attribute towards copyright is amazing. Why had no one thought of something like this earlier...to find agree on specific labels to be attached to work so that learners and viewers and add or share?...Thinking to the historical showing of Dr. Martin Luther King and allowing that to be on the open domain to allow our time of learners see what the world use to be and not relive what it went through is an amazing message and even that needs to be shared. 


Personal Reflection:
What I think is overwhelming is...how is one to know if they are accidentally using something that is copyrighted or not...Just thinking about how there are millions of movies in the world and if I was to become an independent filmmaker and make a film to later find out it is similar to one that was made 20 years ago that was copyrighted?! Now that's scary! I feel that our world is full of creative people that should be allowed to manipulate and change ideas or things that are already made to keep our creative senses going but I agree as well that if someone had already made it...credit needs to be due. But what if you didn't know?
Watching the Disney video really made me reflect and think...how is this video not illegal...it is using copyrighted material all produced by Disney but as I thought deeper into what I was watching...it is fair use from what I understand of it...because it is only using small snippets of each video...but totally interesting to really think about...
Another interesting part to our copyright assignment was the reflection of the PBS showing of Dr. Martin Luther King's film clip on how it is no longer able to be broadcasted on tv NOR produced through DVD due to copyright laws. This is our HISTORY and it needs to continue to be a part of our history but if it is something that is not available...how is this fair for our learners and our future leaders of our world to not experience this?...I know this is corny...but it just about brought tears to my eyes...
Watching the first few videos really brought back a lot of memories for me as a child. My family and I traveled a lot of China when I was young and I remember walking the street vendors with my family and people selling thousands of dvd's and cd's...of course all illegally burned and downloaded....It was such a norm there in China...it is really crazy to think about now as an adult learning about these copyright laws. It is forsure not a norm here but there it was soooo common. Reading about how numbers were produced by researchers about how many billions of dollars and thousands of jobs were lost in the U.S. due to people illegally downloading and etc...I must agree with the article posted that it can't all be true...maybe not the U.S. but other countries have been doing this for centuries before it hit big in the U.S. I talked to my parents tonight about this and they can remember their childhoods filled with these streets of illegal vendor sellings of cd's and dvd's. It is really interesting to think about how my life has been impacted and the overall idea of these copyright laws.

We NEED to and MUST inform our learners...they need to know...and it is our job to do so.




Edwin Moy said...
@ Helen, Week 1 reading post I totally understand how you feel regarding the vendors selling their illegal dvd's and cd's as part of the norm growing up. I saw the same thing growing up and its a conflict of cultures and business. I agree with how the readings flowed logically and it helped me understand the reading as well. I do have to hand it to you as a educator to have to think about copyright to make your point to your students. I think your concerns about the creativity of the future may be at risk because of the copyright concerns. All we can do is provide guidance and education to help them understand the need to research the environment as we tread into water.

No comments:

Post a Comment